Homeowner Repair Program
funds provided annually through a Community Development Block Grant
The Homeowner Repair Program provides an affordable and creative solution to maintain safe and decent housing for low to moderate income families who own and live in their homes within UNEC’s boundaries. Typical repairs focus on structural components including roofing, windows, siding, furnaces, electrical and plumbing repair; but are not limited to these items.
Homeowners are selected through an application process each year in early February. If you are interested in this program, contact 317-546-6240 or email@example.com.
Are you interested in owning a home? UNEC prides ourselves in creating affordable, quality homes for families within our community. In order to create a diverse neighborhood, we work with individuals and families of all income levels and credit situation through our partnership with Indianapolis Neighborhood Housing Partnership and other community partners committee to creating homeownership opportunities. For more information on how you can own a home in our ‘hood, 317-546-6240 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UNEC strives to enhance the community through several projects that engage, relate and change our neighborhood. Our beautification efforts include:
- Keystone Millersville Neighborhood Association Community Garden (4033 N. Temple). In 2013, in partnership with the Indy East Food Desert Coalition and the City of Indianapolis’ Grow-N-Indy program, UNEC worked with the Keystone Millersville Neighborhood and Project One Love (plus countless volunteers) to install 8 raised garden beds, a shed, picnic table and a rain barrel. Our goal is to continue to plant the garden each year, support the community volunteers and address food access needs in the community.
- Pocket Park development – creating green spaces within the community to promote health, wellness, and interaction. In 2014, 2 locations will be seeking funding to develop these spaces.
- Infrastructure Improvements – UNEC desires to create a more accessible community through thoughtful infrastructure projects such as sidewalks, street/pavement/concrete improvements, bus stop treatments, etc.
Economic Development Initiatives
UNEC understands that in order to have a holistic approach to revitalization, it is imperative that we enhance the business community. To rebuild and sustain our economic areas, we must wear many hats – Coach, Mentor, Visionary, Resourceful, and a Funder. Additionally, we work with our community partners such as Business Ownership Initiatives, Small Business Development Center, City Services and many more to help build the capacity of our business leaders.
Concurrently, it is our duty to the built environment to partner with developers and investors in the community to strengthen our neighborhoods by making sure residents, businesses and stakeholders a part of these discussions. Further, as UNEC develops properties in the area, we listen to the needs of the community while balancing the opportunities.
United Northeast Business Association (UBA)
UBA is a membership taskforce focused on promoting a positive business development in the northeast side by encouraging networking/collaborations, business recruitment and sustainable business practices to retain our eclectic business environment as well as improve the Quality of Life for our residents. UBA is supported by UNEC staff and meets the 4th Wednesday of every month at 8:30 – 9:30AM at UNEC’s offices (3908 Meadows Drive). Each meeting welcomes a guest speaker and provides real time information to help keep our business community up to date on current topics that relate to their businesses.
NorthEast Corridor Quality of Life
Beginning in August 2012, UNEC has been the co-convening agency for the NE Corridor Quality of life. Residents, business owners, organizations and leaders of the city’s NE area have been working to create a shared vision to better the community. Thanks to the generous sponsorships from Local Initiative Support Corporation, residents unveiled their Action Plan on March 22, 2014. Currently there are 8 Action Teams working monthly with the guidance of resident leaders and community institutions. Visit www.necorridor.com for more information or to join us at one of our next meetings.
Avondale Meadows Revitalization
In partnership with the Meadows Community Foundation, UNEC supports and invest staff time into the revitalization of Avondale Meadows. The goal to create a safe and vibrant place where people thrive. Though the development of:
- Multifamily housing (East Village Apartments) – completed in 2012, 260 affordable units;
- Avondale Meadows Health & Wellness Center, featuring HealthNet North East and the Avondale Meadows YMCA – over 70,000SF of healthcare and wellness services – opened in September 2013; and
- Comprehensive Education Corridor from Cradle to Seniors:
- Future projects include street and sidewalk improvements, pedestrian park, senior apartments, grocery store and retail.